Spending a night out on the town with friends can be a lot of fun – until the evening is over and you realize you may have had a little too much to drink. At this point you may wonder how you are going to get home safely.
You don’t want to get behind the wheel of your own vehicle, nor do you want to ride with someone else who’s been drinking. Driving while drunk (or even slightly tipsy) could lead to a DUI charge. Far worse, it could result in you, your passengers or other innocent victims suffering serious or fatal injuries in a drunk driving accident.
If you are planning to go out and drink alcohol, take the time to figure out at least one alternative way to get home. Planning ahead can significantly reduce your chances of becoming a drunk driving statistic, it can also save you and your family much heartache and pain.
Even if your plans to go out drinking are spontaneous, or you don’t have an opportunity to find an alternative method of transportation in advance, it is not too late. In Fort Collins, there are a number of ways to find a safe ride home.
Designate a Driver
Designating a driver is one of the most simple and effective ways to avoid drinking and driving. If you and your friends are planning to go out, designate someone in your group as the sober driver. This will give you a chance to drink without having to worry about getting home safely when the night is over.
There is a designated driver service here in Fort Collins you can call if you need a ride. The company is called BeMyDD and its service options include:
- A personal driver at a rate of $14-$19.50 per hour.
- A pickup service for you and your vehicle: $25 pickup fee plus mileage.
- Driver teams for events at a rate of $45-$53 per team per hour
You can go to the BeMyDD website, call 1-877-U-BEMYDD (823-6933) or download the company’s smartphone app to arrange service.
Call a Car Service or a Cab
There are numerous taxi companies and car services in and around Fort Collins that are committed to being part of the city’s “Safe Ways Home” project. If you find yourself unable to drive after drinking too much alcohol, FortCollinsNightOut.com and Team Fort Collins suggest the following services to provide you with a safe way home:
- Central Car Service: Call 970-223-9933. On certain days riders can receive free trips under two miles, other days it will cost $6 for the first mile and $3 each subsequent mile.
- Ram Ride: This service is for Colorado State University students only. Students can call 970-491-3333 for a free ride home between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. on Thursdays or 10 p.m. and 3 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Yellow Cab: Call 970-224-2222. This cab company operates 24 hours a day all week and costs $5.75 for the first mile and $2.25 for subsequent miles.
- Genesis Car Service: Call 970-599-9519. This car service is available 24 hours a day all week and costs $7 for the first two miles and $3 for each additional mile.
- Trunk Drivers: Call 970-658-0806. Trunk Drivers offers a take-home service for individuals and their vehicles from Old Town. The service is available Friday and Saturday evenings from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m., as well as Sunday through Thursday from 7 p.m. to midnight (only with a reservation). There is a $15 flat pick-up fee and an additional charge of $3 per mile.
Another option for individuals who are either planning to go out drinking or who regularly find themselves without a safe ride, is to download the zTrip smartphone app. The service operates 24 a hours a day and costs the same as Yellow Cab, with the additional charge of a $1 usage fee.
Take Public Transportation
Using public transportation is another way for people to get home safely after having too much to drink. Transfort operates buses throughout Fort Collins. To find your route or a particular bus schedule, simply go to the Transfort website or download the free app.
Bus fares are as follows:
- $1.25 for a single ride.
- $0.60 for seniors over the age of 60, individuals who are disabled or those on Medicare.
- Riders 17 years old and younger can ride free with a valid student or state ID, or an accompanying adult.
- CSU students, faculty and staff can ride for free with a RamCard.
- There is no charge for transfers.
Transfort also runs a late-night downtown service on its green and gold routes. This service is cash only and costs $1 for a single ride.
With so many options available, there is no reason you should not be able to find a safe ride home in Fort Collins. However, even if you do everything right, you could still be the victim of someone else’s dangerous decision to drive while drunk. If you have been the victim of a car accident in the Fort Collins area, it is crucial to seek help from a qualified personal injury attorney.
Contact Our Colorado Car Accident Law Firm
Attorney Steve Ray is a former Marine Corps judge now fights for the rights of accident victims in Fort Collins and Northern Colorado. If you have been seriously injured in a car accident, he brings more than 35 years of legal experience and military discipline to pursuing your claim for compensation.
He will meet with you to discuss your case and, if a claim is possible, pursue the maximum financial recovery available. If we cannot recover money for you, you will pay nothing for our legal services.
Contact us today to discuss your case in a free consultation.