Fort Collins Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Serving Northern Colorado
More tourists and full-time residents are getting around on motorcycles these days in Fort Collins and across Northern Colorado. And why not? Motorcyclists can enjoy breathtaking scenery while cruising through the many trails winding through the Rocky Mountains. Riding a motorcycle also involves significantly less gas – and expense – than driving an automobile.
At Steve Ray Law, PLLC, we wholly support motorcyclists. We also want them to be fully aware of their rights and options if they are struck by a careless or reckless car driver.
Motorcycles Should Be Treated Like Any Other Vehicle
Motorcycles should be treated no differently than other vehicles on the road. Unfortunately, too many car drivers don’t see it that way. Serious accidents often result when car drivers:
- Try to share a lane with the motorcyclist – A motorcyclist, just a like a car driver, needs a full lane to safely maneuver. For instance, the motorcyclist may need to swerve to avoid a pothole, grease slick, loose gravel or object in the road.
- Follow the motorcycle too closely – Just as you do when trailing a car, you should leave a three- or four-second distance when behind a motorcycle. Because motorcyclists may need to stop suddenly to avoid hazards, this distance is especially important.
- Fail to check their mirrors for motorcycles – Car drivers need to be on the lookout for motorcycles just as they are for cars. This means using their rear and side mirrors to spot motorcycles that may be approaching or that may get lost in “blind spots.”
- Turn in front of motorcycles – For whatever reason, car drivers tend to think they can “beat” motorcycles and make right-hand or left-hand turns in front of them – maneuvers they wouldn’t normally make when encountering another car.
- Secure their cargo – All too often, motorcyclists are struck by objects flying from the backs of pickup trucks or dump trucks that should have been secured.
If a car driver violates a motorcyclist’s rights by engaging in this conduct, and it causes a crash, the car driver may be liable for any harm suffered by the motorcyclist and his or her passenger.
Additionally, motorcyclists, like car drivers, have a right to travel on safe roads and with safe equipment.
If an accident is caused by a road defect such as a deteriorating shoulder, or if it results from a lack of signs warning of a hazard, a government entity or a contractor it hired should be held responsible.
Also, if a motorcycle’s brakes, chain or tires fail, the manufacturer of those parts should be made to pay for any losses that result.
Motorcyclists Hurt by Others Can Seek Compensation
The Fort Collins motorcycle accident lawyers of Steve Ray Law, PLLC, help injured motorcyclists and their passengers to recover compensation when they are injured by negligent drivers or other parties. This primarily involves turning to all available insurance coverage, such as:
- Med-pay coverage – Insurers must offer Colorado motorcyclists, like car drivers, at least $5,000 in coverage for their medical expenses no matter who is at fault in an accident.
- Liability coverage – If a car driver caused your motorcycle crash, that driver’s insurance should pay for any damage to your bike and any bodily harm that you or your passenger suffered.
- UM/UIM coverage – If you have purchased this optional coverage, you may be able to seek compensation if you are hit by an uninsured driver, injured in a hit-and-run accident or involved in a crash with a driver whose insurance won’t fully cover your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and other losses.
Negotiations with insurance companies can be especially difficult when motorcycles are involved in a crash. Under Colorado law, a defendant may not have to pay compensation for causing an accident so long as the other party involved is found to be equally or more at fault. So, it is common for insurers to try to pin blame for a crash on the motorcyclist.
This is why it is important to seek help from an attorney who will be aggressive in dealing with insurance companies and go to court for you if the insurer refuses to make a reasonable settlement offer.
Fort Collins Motorcycle Accident Victims Contact Our Office Today
Steve Ray Law, PLLC, understands the gravity of motorcycle crashes. While helmets provide important protection and should be worn at all times, the reality is this: Motorcyclists can suffer serious head and brain injuries and other serious harm when hit by car drivers.
Our lawyers are committed to protecting Colorado motorcyclists’ rights and seeking maximum compensation for them after a crash. Contact us today to receive a free case review and learn more about how we can help you and your family.
For More Information: