Traumatic Brain Injury
Of all our faculties, our mental function is perhaps our most important. We need to be able to think clearly and enjoy the world around us. However, when you suffer a brain injury, it can feel like your brain has been hijacked and won’t function the way it used to. This can be especially frustrating when someone else is responsible for the injury.
Marine Corps veteran and experienced trial lawyer, Steve Ray, understands what it takes to fight for the compensation that you deserve if someone else’s negligence caused you or a loved one to suffer serious brain injury. For more than 40 years, Steve has helped traumatic brain injury victims in Fort Collins and all over Colorado. You can count on him to aggressively pursue justice on your behalf. To learn more, contact us today and allow our firm to review your case in a free consultation.
Signs and Symptoms of Traumatic Brain Injury
Many people involved in auto accidents and other accidents suffer concussions, which are considered a mild form of traumatic brain injury (TBI). One of the most important things you can do after an accident is to make sure that you get immediate medical attention, especially if you suffer from any of the signs and symptoms of TBI, including:
- Blurry vision
- Slurred or difficult speech
- Confusion or disorientation
- Tinnitus (persistent ringing in the ears)
- Cognitive delays
- Loss of consciousness.
If you experience any other unusual symptoms, check with your doctor. Even mild to moderate forms of TBI can cause severe, long-term problems. Some forms of TBI may also be life-threatening.
How a Lawyer Can Help If You Suffer TBI in an Accident
Attorney Steve Ray has more than four decades of experience litigating complex injury cases throughout Colorado. He knows the nuances and obstacles that you must navigate in order to recover maximum compensation for your injuries. When pursuing justice after a TBI accident, you can count on Steve and our legal team to:
- Determine liability – We will investigate the facts of the case to determine how your accident happened and who should be held responsible for it. We work with experienced investigators and often consult with highly knowledgeable experts in areas such as accident reconstruction.
- Calculate your damages – Another important step in any serious injury involving a medical diagnosis is a careful and thorough review of medical records. We will obtain all relevant records of the care and treatment related to your brain injury, and then we will work closely with leading experts from the medical field to help us prove not only your current injuries but also your long-term prognosis and future need for care.
- Pursue what you are due – You need a lawyer who will aggressively pursue a settlement and will not be afraid to file a lawsuit and, if necessary, take your case to court. After years of handling serious brain injury cases, Steve knows how TBI affects victims and the lives of those around them. He will fight for all compensation you are due.
Types of TBI Cases We Handle in Colorado
If the negligence of an individual or business caused your TBI, you have the right to seek just compensation for the physical, emotional, and financial harm you have suffered. Some of the common situations in which TBI occurs are:
- Falls – This is a leading cause of TBI, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Falls can happen anywhere, including sidewalks, private residences, businesses, or even in health care environments. Often, victims are elderly people who suffer falls due to nursing home abuse and neglect.
- Car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents – Motor vehicle crashes also commonly cause victims to suffer TBI. Due to the lack of structural protection, victims of bicycle, pedestrian, and motorcycle crashes frequently suffer serious brain injuries.
- Workplace accidents – Work sites such as construction areas and factories are especially dangerous. Workers may suffer TBI due to falls from heights, or slip and falls, or due to falling tools or materials.
- Medical malpractice – While most healthcare practitioners are exceedingly cautious and highly skilled, there are still many medical professionals who fail to exercise a reasonable degree of care when they perform procedures. For this reason, medical malpractice also serves as a leading cause of TBI.
- Sports and recreation accidents – Poor supervision by coaches, trainers, and other event staff can lead to unnecessary and totally preventable injuries such as TBI. Sometimes, the problem is the response. For instance, a coach or trainer may allow a child with a concussion to continue playing in a game.
Compensation for Brain Injury Victims in Colorado
Many brain injuries require extensive medical treatment. In addition to surgery and medication, a TBI victim may need to spend time at an assisted living facility or undergo prolonged rehabilitation and therapy. Even upon returning to the home, a victim may need ongoing in-home care and supervision. If someone else’s negligence caused the brain injury, the victim and his or her family should not be burdened with the costs of this care and treatment.
Attorney Steve Ray will pursue full compensation for all past and future medical expenses brought on by the TBI in your case. Additionally, he can seek a recovery of damages such as lost income, diminishment of future earning ability, pain and suffering, emotional distress, loss of consortium and, if appropriate, punitive damages. His goal will always be to recover maximum compensation on your behalf.
Get Help from a Fort Collins TBI Attorney Today
While a traumatic brain injury may have a long-term, lasting impact on your life, you only have a short amount of time in which you can bring a claim for your injury to court. Colorado generally allows only two years from the date of the injury in which to bring a personal injury lawsuit. This is why it is so critical that you contact an experienced Fort Collins TBI lawyer right away in order to protect your rights.
Contact us today to discuss your case in a free legal consultation. Steve Ray Law, PLLC, serves clients in Fort Collins and throughout Colorado. We will charge you nothing for our legal services unless we secure compensation for you.